CLEVELAND, Ohio – To raise awareness of the ongoing need for basic lawn care and landscape services for families of deployed military personnel and post 9/11 veterans with service-connected disabilities, Project EverGreen recognizes June 11-17, 2017 as National GreenCare for Troops Awareness Week.
The program, which celebrates its 11th year in 2017, has seen more than 11,000 military families and veterans register to receive, and more than 6,000 green industry professionals register to provide these much needed volunteer services since the program was launched in 2006.
Since the program’s inception, the 11,000 families who have registered for the program have received an estimated $8 million in donated lawn care and landscape services.
“These valuable services provide military families and wounded and disabled veterans with peace of mind and freedom to heal,” said Cindy Code, executive director of Project EverGreen. “A managed lawn and yard provides vital outdoor space for military personnel, disabled veterans and their families to begin their recovery and reconnect with their families.”
The program has provided basic lawn and landscape services and so much more, including back yards for service dogs to run in, green gardens for disabled veterans to reflect in and countless hours of joy for families to bond.
Thriving lawns, trees and plants go beyond the aesthetics; they are an integral part of the social fabric of a community and provide individuals with the ability to actively participate in creating a greener, healthier, cooler Earth.
The Toro Company is the presenting partner for GCFT, with platinum partner Nufarm also lending support.
As part of the anniversary celebration and awareness week efforts, Project EverGreen has created a promotional tool kit for its volunteers featuring tips for promoting their involvement with the initiative, suggested social media posts, a detailed infographic and 60-second promotional video, which can be seen on Project EverGreen’s YouTube channel.
For more information on how to volunteer or sign up for Project EverGreen’s GreenCare for Troops, call 888.611.2955 or visit www.ProjectEverGreen.org.
GreenCare for Troops Awareness Week Facts and figures
- 1 - White House Joining Forces Initiative Award
- 11 – The numbers of years GreenCare for Troops has been helping families of deployed military personnel
- 50 – States in which there are registered military families and volunteer contractors
- 2006 – The year GreenCare for Troops was launched
- 6,000 – Number of volunteer contractors who have registered to provide services through GreenCare for Troops
- 11,000 – Number of military families who have registered for GreenCare for Troops since program’s inception
- 150,500 – Estimated number of U.S. military personnel deployed overseas
- 3.6 Million – Number of veterans with a service-related disability needing assistance with day-to-day household and lifestyle assistance services
- $8 million – Estimated value of in-kind services provided to military families and veterans through GCFT since the program’s inception