COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Central Environmental Nursery Trade Show (CENTS) is rolling out more than a new look in 2012. The spotlight on business includes a bevy of new business management sessions to help green industry professionals drive business efficiency, sales, and profitability.
CENTS has worked in conjunction with The Ohio State University Nursery Short Course for more than 80 years, providing a vast array of education sessions tailored to the green side of nursery and landscape businesses, covering topics specifically developed for growers, independent garden centers, landscape contractors, arborists, turf and pest management professionals.
The new focus for CENTS 2012 Marketplace is to “grow beyond the green” – as in the green side of the business – and include the business side of business. “What we hear in the current business climate is that industry members want more than continuing education in horticulture,” said Kevin Thompson, executive director of The Ohio Nursery and Landscape Association. “They need practical, hands-on advice to help get control of the bottom line, while reducing the headaches that come with issues like hiring staff, paying taxes and succession planning. CENTS 2012 sessions tackle these issues head-on.”
2012 ONLA Business Management topics include:
- Human Resource Essentials for Small Business, (a three-part series) Jeff Shick, director of manufacturing & technology, Ohio SBDC
Part 1: Recruiting & Interviewing
Part 2: Legalities & Administrative Issues
Part 3: Performance & Retention
- Basic Bookkeeping to Keep the IRS Happy
Dave Krebs, CPA Advisory Group, Inc. / Ohio SBDC
- Understanding the Impact of New Estate Tax Laws on Family Business
Bea Wolper, Conway Center for Family Business
- Quick Response (QR)/2d Barcodes – What Are They and Why Do They Matter?
Timothy Howard, Clarity Connect
- Marketing More With Less: Growing Your Business with the Resources You Have
Nancy Stoll, Ohio SBDC
- Family Business Succession: Overcoming Challenges in Transition
Dick Emens, Conway Center for Family Business
- Navigating the Ever-Changing Ohio Workers’ Compensation Landscape
Shawn Combs, CareWorks Consultants, Inc.
- Implementing an Effective Safety Program
Gary Hanson, American Safety & Health
- IRS Small Business Tax Essentials
Grant Neilley, Neilley & Co., CPAs Inc.
- Strategic Planning: Putting Vision and Direction Into Your Business
Jeff Shick, director of manufacturing and technology, Ohio SBDC
ONLA Business Management sessions are included with regular admission to the OSU Nursery Short Course. More information can be found here.