With so many pre-emergent herbicides out on the market, how do you know which one is right for you? You could very well be using one, when another one could work better. Sometimes comparing their details side-by-side is all it takes to know which one to invest in and which one to skip.
Dimension specialty herbicide
The pitch: In turf and landscape, Dimension specialty herbicide provides preemergence control of more than 45 annual grassy and broadleaf weeds, including crabgrass, goosegrass, spurge, bittercress and Poa annua.
- Multiple formulations, including water-based Dimension 2EW specialty herbicide, are available and labeled for use on more than 440 tolerant plant varieties.
- Dimension also has shown tolerance to most popular turfgrass species.
- The nonstaining formulations of Dimension won’t leave turf, equipment or surroundings stained yellow.
For more information: www.dowagro.com
The pitch: With two proven active ingredients, Echelon goes beyond conventional crabgrass control to deliver preemergence performance against sedges.
- Echelon controls weeds from the foliage down and from the root up.
- It also provides pre- and early postemergence control of goosegrass.
- Echelon is available as a sprayable application or as a dry application on fertilizer for most cool- and warm-season grasses.
For more information: www.fmccrop.com
The pitch: Exacto’s Yardage, a 3-in-1 combination adjuvant that helps applicators optimize the performance of pesticide applications.
- As an acidifier, it lowers the pH of tank mixes that include common weak acid herbicides such as 2,4-D and dicamba.
- As a penetrant, it reduces the surface tension of spray solutions, allowing spray droplets to spread upon impact.
- As a drift reduction agent, it maximizes the number of droplets in the ideal size range for uniform deposition of spray droplets on plant surfaces.
For more information: www.exactoinc.com
Katana Turf Herbicide
The pitch: Katana Turf Herbicide controls grassy and broadleaf weeds with some pre-emergence activity.
- Can be used on Bermuda, zoysia, centipede and buffalo grasses and seashore paspalum.
- The herbicide is labeled for control of 58 weeds.
- Was made to be not as temperature-dependent as competitive products.
For more information: www.gordonsprofessional.com
FreeHand 1.75G herbicide
The pitch: FreeHand 1.75G herbicide is a tool for pre-emergent weed control of annual grasses, susceptible sedge species and many small-seeded broadleaf weeds in landscape ornamentals.
- FreeHand 1.75G herbicide combines two active ingredients for a broader range of control.
- Delivers residual control, stopping weeds as they germinate.
- It offers a wide range of plant species tolerance and use sites.
For more information: www.betterturf.basf.us
Specticle plus Fertilizer
The pitch: Specticle plus Fertilizer is a versatile, pre-emergent herbicide that provides lawn care operators up to eight months of residual control at low use rates.
- An application on fertilizer protects against more than 75 broadleaf and grassy weeds, including annual bluegrass, goosegrass, crabgrass and annual sedge.
- Delivers weed prevention and fertility
- Provides maximum flexibility with a wide spring pre-emergent application window
- Available in two different concentrations and a variety of fertilizer blends
For more information: www.BayerCropScience.us
For information on more pre-emergents, as well as other lawn care products, visit lawnandlandscape.com/products.