The donations are intended to spark students’ interest in technical careers.
KOHLER, Wis. – In an effort to ignite students’ interest in future careers as engineers and service technicians, Kohler recently donated 570 engines to more than 34 educational institutions and organizations throughout the Midwest. The gas and diesel engines will be used for student coursework at high schools, technical schools and universities, as well as other community groups in agricultural or mechanical fields. The donations are valued at more than $40,000.
“As a leader in the engines market, we believe it’s our responsibility to help train future engineers and service technicians,” said Brian Melka, vice president - Kohler Engines, Americas. “Through donations like these, we hope to continue encouraging best practices and driving innovation in the industry.”
Kohler’s donations included both gas and diesel engines ranging from 6.5 to 23.4 hp. They are being used to give students critical, hands-on experience while enhancing their knowledge of small engines, including assembly and disassembly, components, torque values, engineering processes, the general functioning of combustion engines, and more.
One benefactor of Kohler’s engine donation program, Fox Valley Technical College (FVTC) in Appleton, Wis., received 46 engines this year for hands-on experience for its service technician program. Another school, Marquette University in Milwaukee, received 11 engines for its College of Engineering program.
In addition, 27 high schools in six states – Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio, and Florida – received a total of 513 engines. The largest donations include:
• Belle Plaine High School, Belle Plaine, Minn. – 24 engines
• Durant High School, Durant, Iowa – 24 engines
• Harlan Community High School, Harlan, Iowa – 24 engines
• Westwood Community School District, Sloan, Iowa – 24 engines
• Glidden Ralston School District, Glidden, Iowa – 24 engines
• Mediapolis Community School District, Mediapolis, Iowa – 24 engines
• Waukon High School, Waukon, Iowa. – 24 engines
• West Harrison Community School, Mondamin, Iowa – 24 engines
• West Salem High School, West Salem, Wis. – 24 engines
Kohler is planning to make additional donations to other universities and organizations later this year.