The company has made a number of efforts to reduce its environmental impact.
RALEIGH, N.C. – Bland Landscaping, a full-service residential and commercial landscaping company, received two sustainability in business awards. The company is the recipient of the 2012 Smith Seal of North Carolina Sustainable Business Award from the Greater Raleigh Chamber’s Pinnacle Awards and the 2012 Market Transformation Award from Raleigh’s Environmental awards.
The Smith Seal of North Carolina Sustainable Business Award recognizes the company for sustainable business practices incorporated into daily operations.
The Market Transformation Award recognizes the company for its efforts in making business decisions that lessen the company’s overall environmental impact.
According to Bland, here are some examples of how the company has reduced its environmental impact and given back to the community:
• Replaced blowers for more efficient models, annually saving 23,400 gallons of gasoline and 461,000 pounds of CO2. Based on today’s fuel prices, this comes to a savings of $85,000 per year.
• Converted vehicles to biodiesel with an environmental savings of 121,636.05 pounds of CO2, 20 percent less hydrocarbons, and 20 percent less SO2.
• Installed a 16,000-gallon rainwater cistern to capture rainwater from the roof, preventing erosion and saving gallons of potable water for other uses.
• Committed to reducing insecticide use to only those products on San Francisco Tier III list.
• Purchased hybridized 4-mix engines that generate less noise than traditional 2-cycle engines, use fewer hydrocarbons, reduce fuel consumption and save $40,000 annually
“We are always looking for better techniques and technologies that will help us reduce the environmental impact of our business and the services we offer,” said Kurt Bland, president.