Tanto is a well-known figure in the golf industry. After emigrating to the United States from Hungary after World War II, he earned a degree in civil engineering from the University of Pittsburgh. Shortly after graduation and working for the Dravo Corporation, he was introduced to the world of golf course construction. A few years later, in 1969, he started his own golf course construction company, Tanto Construction and Supply.
The company thrived under Tanto’s leadership; a period spanning 32 years. His reputation in the industry was based on honesty, quality work, and customer service. The company eventually focused on irrigation installation for both new construction and existing golf courses, working under the company name Tanto Irrigation. Tanto Irrigation installed irrigation systems on numerous private and public courses including work on twenty-five of Golf Digest’s Top 100 courses.
In addition to the ASIC Roy Williams Award, he was recently awarded the GCSAA Distinguished Service Award for his contributions to the industry.
Latest from Lawn & Landscape
- Takeuchi adds Baldwin, Wells to manager roles
- Mariani Landscape acquires Ed Castro Landscape
- Choose Joy
- Ewing taps Yarian as irrigation category manager
- 3 brands combine as Petitti Family of Farms
- VP Racing Fuels debuts EcoGen
- BrightView acquires Island Plant Company
- LMN introduces Job Costing Advisor